Powered by Blogger.

(Review): A Court of Thorns and Roses and A Court of Mist and Fury

by - 1:29 AM






 (Reviews): A Court of Thorns and Roses and A Court of Mist and Fury

Disclaimer:  This will contain spoilers!


1. A Court of Thorns and Roses


Okay, I was never one to follow the hype in the past, but reading this book made me realize that maybe some things are hyped up for a reason!  This is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast which was the main reason I picked it up on the first place.

I kept seeing this book even before I started reading, it is THAT famous, and for good reason too! 

Feyre is a huntress who lives in the mortal land near the border to the fae world, Prythian.  She kills a wolf one day, suspecting but not really knowing that it's a fae.  Turns out it was, and the wolf's master, Tamlin, whom she will later learn to be the High Lord of the Spring Court takes her captive and imprisons her in his manor in Prythian; a life for a life after all.  And the rest, they say, is history~

This is one of the first high fantasy novels that I've read (the other being A Thousand Nights by EK Johnston) and this literally surpassed my expectation.  I never knew a book could be this good.  It feels kind of rushed a bit (especially with the Suriel part, because whuttt???  Girl, I get that you are a huntress, but you are only a human and you intend to catch a Suriel that scares off even a High Fae?  I understand the significance of catching the Suriel, but maybe Sarah J Maas could drag it out a little before getting to that part of the story) and some things does not really make sense (until you read the second book; or maybe the third also??)

Then, we are introduced to the villain, Amarantha, and the love of my life, Rhysand, the High Lord of the Night Court! 

Anyway, Feyre has to accomplish three missions to free Tamlin (did I mention that creepy Amarantha has an unhealthy obsession for Tamlin?) and subsequently the entire Prythian from Amarantha's curse.  I love the three missions, love everything that happens after that.  I also love Rhysand btw, did I mention that ;D

Anyway, all in all, 4/5 stars!

Verdict: 4/5




2. A Court of Mist and Fury



There you are, finishing a book and wondering if the next one would measure up to it and then BAM, it didn't measure up to the expectation, it exceeds the expectation!

A Court of Mist and Fury continues from where the first book left off. Feyre, Tamlin and the entire Prythian are free, but their minds are still plagued by nightmares, traumatized by what Amarantha did.

Back in the first book, Feyre almost died, and was forced to make an agreement with Rhysand, promising him one week off each month in return for his help. 

Now, Feyre is about to marry Tamlin but gets cold feet, and Rhysand pretty much crashes their wedding and takes the spring bride away.

Some people out there have an affinity for second male leads.  That is not the case for me; I have always been the first male lead kind of girl. But somehow, for this novel, I like Rhysand better.  Don't get me wrong, I like Tamlin too, but I like Rhysand more *lewd smile*

 When I began reading the second book, my poor heart sank thinking about what Rhysand would have to endure because he is clearly in love with Feyre who is in love with Tamlin.  And then lo and behold, Tamlin becomes the villain and Rhysand is now the prince charming.  That plot twist smh!  Maybe, I have a way to sniff out who the male leads are!

Anyway, onto the story, this book is just so good it is pretty much the best book that I've ever read (so far).  I love Amren, I love Cassian, Azriel, Mor, I love the Bone Carver's scene, the Weaver's scene.  It was as though I was watching a movie. 

I started marking the time I took to read while reading this.  I started reading this on 20/11/2018 and finished reading it on 25/11/2018.  All 600+ pages!  That says a lot because I am usually a slow-reader.



I started annonating my books using sticky notes as well.  Notice it's kind of sparse in the middle.  That was because I was too busy reading that I didn't bother annotating.  I only started annotating again because I knew I would regret it if I didn't.

It was a pleasureable read.  My only problem is Feyre seems to blame everyone else over everything that went wrong.  I mean she blames herself too, but sometimes, she tries too hard to find fault in other people.  She want to be independent and free and equal, but she wants Lucien to do the fighting for her.  And I could also do without the mating bond thing.  It reminds me of them kpop fanfics that I used to read =='

I am going to buy the last book soon, and damn it I am so excited to read it!  I just hope that Sarah J Maas will not villify Rhysand the way she did to Tamlin.  I mean we started reading the second book thinking that it will be Feyre x Tamlin, but then dang.

Rhysand, above all people, deserves to have his happy ever after.

And this might be an unpopular opinion, but I also like the sisters.  I am really excited to see how they will adapt to being Faes (though Nesta will probably be sooooo pissed at Feyre.)  Also, I cringe at Elain x Lucien.  If possible, I want to see Elain with Tarquin <333

Verdict: 5/5



You May Also Like

0 comments