Powered by Blogger.

[Book Review]: To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo

by - 6:43 AM


Review: To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo






Princess Lira is siren royalty and the most lethal of them all. Hearts are power, and with the hearts of seventeen princes in her collection, she is revered across the sea. When a twist of fate forces her to kill one of her own, the Sea Queen transforms Lira a human as punishment. Robbed of her song, Lira has until the winter solstice to deliver Prince Elian's heart to the Sea Queen or remain a human forever. Hunting sirens is Prince Elian's calling. When he rescues a drowning woman in the ocean, she promises to help him find the key to destroying all of sirenkind for good--but can he trust her?—

 Disclaimer:  This will contain spoilers!
I tried sooooo hard to look for this book.  I am so glad that I finally own it!  I love fairytales and their retellings, so naturally I had a lot of anticipation for this.  I started reading it the moment I got my hands on it.  I kind of put some of my current reads on hold in favor of this.

This is a retelling of ‘The Little Mermaid’, except, the main character, Lira, is a siren and she bloody hates mermaids!  Haha!

I love the premise of this book, I love the world-building, with the sirens, the mermaids, the princely siren hunters.  I just feel like it is too short.  I wish the book could be longer.  This book only has like 350+ pages, which means that for a book that has a lot to tell, things progressed really fast. 

The character shift for Lira happened way too quickly that I had a hard time digesting it.  How did she turn from a ruthless selfish siren princess (who had no trouble allowing her own subject to die just because she hated said subject for something that she didn’t even remember) to someone who would willingly take a bullet for someone else?

The side characters are also under-utilized.  They are poorly fleshed out and are very one dimensional.  They are only there for the sake of being there (and to make Elian look better.) 

Those two things above could have been better if the book was longer.  I feel kind of bad, because I only annotated (and therefore only remembered) the negative aspects, which is unfair because the book also has loads of positive sides (which I forgot to write down because I was too eager to read to do anything else #fail). 

A good attempt at retelling The Little Mermaid, but like I said, could have been longer (like 600 pages?). 

4/5 hearts! 

You May Also Like

0 comments