Powered by Blogger.

(Book Review): The Caraval Trilogy by Stephanie Garber

by - 9:52 PM


(Book Review):  The Caraval Trilogy by Stephanie Garber



“I don’t want to talk to you,” she said.  “I want to talk to Legend.”
“Then open your eyes and speak to me.”

The series begins with a pair of sisters, Scarlett and Donatella traveling to Legend’s island to participate in Legend’s magical tournament, ‘Caraval’.  Legend is like this mysterious, elusive sorcerer whom nobody has ever seen.  He wields real magic and the winner of this tournament will receive a very special gift: a wish in which he will fulfill.

The journey to the tournament was hectic enough and upon reaching the island, Scarlett discovers that her sister, Tella had gone missing.  In fact, finding Tella is the entire purpose of the tournament this time.  Many more characters are introduced, each has their own motive for winning the tournament.

Oh how I wish Caraval exists in real life.  The entire tournament is just so magical.  The dress, the troops, etc.  Reading this reminds me of Alice in Wonderland, just even better. 
The ending is kind of anticlimactic, but I guess I (and Scarlett) should have read the tagline properly hahaha. 

The second book continues off from the POV of Tella.  She has always been my most favorite character, even from the first book, so reading it from her POV was such a treat!  I love her personality so much!  Even better, she’s got the Mother of all love-triangles out there!  For the first time since I started reading, I did not mind who the main character ends up with because I love both pairings equally.  She’s got the love triangles that all female characters deserve /swoon/

The second and third book focus on real magic, so it no longer has that whimsical circus feels that the first book has.  But it was alright for me because by then, I already grew so attached to the characters that I just wanted everyone to be happy. 

One of the best reading experiences I’ve ever had.  It was so hard for me to get my hands on Legendary because it was out of print everywhere, where I live.  I had to custom-ordered it from a bookshop and then wait for a month to get my hands on it.  Was it worth all that trouble?  Hell yeah! 

The first book is a solid 4.6/5, but the next two are like 5/5.

Verdict: 5/5 (Hall of Famer)

You May Also Like

0 comments