Powered by Blogger.

(Ranking): My Top 10 Books of 2019

by - 3:09 AM


(Ranking):  My Top 10 Books of 2019


2019 is almost over, so I thought I should compile some of the best reads I’ve had this year :D  They are books that I’ve read from 15 December 2018 onwards, or books that are parts of a series that I’ve read this year.  Here they are, in ascending order:

Honorable Mentions:

1.    1. Hunted by Meagan Spooner


A retelling of ‘Beauty and the Beast’, my most favorite retelling so far.




2.       2. To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo

A retelling of ‘The Little Mermaid’.  I loved the world building but had a little trouble adjusting to the pace of the plot.




My Most Favourite Books:
10. Heartless by Marissa Meyer

‘The Hatter’s tea party was not so much a tea party as a circus.’

A backstory to the origins of the Queen of Hearts.  A delightful fantasy that stays true to Carroll’s writing.



9. My Lady Jane by Brodi Ashton, Cynthia Hands and Jodi Meadows

‘”I’ve never been more certain on anything in my life,” he said.  “You’re going to be a fine queen, Bess.  The best.  Even better than Father.  Trust me.”

An alternate take on Lady Jane Grey.  Very funny and entertaining, hope they’d make one based on Anne Boleyn.



8.  House of Salt and Sorrows by Erin A. Craig

“Once there were twelve of us: the Thaumas Dozen.  Now, we stood in a small line, my seven sisters and I, and I couldn’t help but wonder if there was a ring of truth to the grim speculations.  Had we somehow angered the gods?”

A retelling of the ‘Twelve Dancing Princesses’.  An enjoyable Gothic Horror.




7. Rebel of the Sands Trilogy by Alwyn Hamilton

“A new dawn, a new desert.  Everybody had heard the rallying cry of the Rebel Prince, but only in whispers.  You’d have to be an idiot to shout your support for the Sultan’s rogue son.”

A roller-coaster adventure in the desert with loveable characters.




6. The Gentlemen’s Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzie Lee

“My first instinct is to faint from fear, but everyone else is being brave, and that makes me feel courageous too, so instead I whip around and throw my first ever punch straight at his chin.”

Very similar vibes to ‘My Lady Jane’.  Highly entertaining.




5. Cinder by Marissa Meyer

“”Come to the ball with me.”
She froze.  Everyone in the hallway froze.
Cinder turned back.  Kai was still standing in elevator B, one hand propping open the door.”

Another entry by Meyer.  This is a retelling of Cinderella, just, in the distant future.  I love the way the story is told and Kai made my heart flutter so much *O*




4. The Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo

“Standing on the edge of a crowded road, I looked down onto the rolling fields and abandoned farms of the Tula Valley and got my first glimpse of the Shadow Fold.”

A Russian-esque fantasy that literally stole my heart.  I love pretty much all of the characters and cannot wait to read the other books from this universe.




3. A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J Maas

“People screamed, falling back, a few vanishing outright as darkness erupted.

I whipped around, and through the night drifting away like smoke on a wind, I found Rhysand straightening the lapels of his black jacket.

“Hello, Feyre darling,” he purred.”

Pretty much reignited my love for reading and made me realize how enjoyable reading can be.




2. The Caraval Trilogy by Stephanie Garber

“”I honestly feel sorry for her,” said the bunny girl.

“You’re saying you wouldn’t want to be engaged to the heir?” chirped the birdy one.  “Have you seen him?”

“I don’t care what he looks like.  He’s a murderer.  Everyone knows there were seventeen people between him and Empress Elantine’s throne.  Then one by one, all the other heirs died in horrific ways.””

Such an addicting read.  I am so gonna re-read this in the near future.  The upside is, reading this makes me so happy.  The downside is, the book I read after this has a lot to live up to L




1. The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

“Divine blood flows differently in each god-born child.  Orpheus’ voice made the trees weep, Heracles could kill a man by clapping him on the back.  Achilles’ miracle was his speed.”

A take on ‘The Iliad’.  Focuses on Achilles and Patroclus.  The feels that this book gave me is indescribable.



You May Also Like

0 comments